Friday, September 15, 2006

Fart, Poop, and other Dirty Words

Eddie and I had an argument last night. About what words our kids should use for their bodily functions.

I don't see a problem in telling it like it is. Pee, Poop, Fart. This is horrible to Eddie. He grew up with Tinkle, "Big Job", and poot. Probably the first time he heard the word "fart" was in second grade, his first year out of a sheltered Christian private school into public school. He probably had no idea what it was and went home to ask his parents, who probably made him pray to get the word out of his head.

I know in 3rd grade, if someone said "tinkle" for the act of peeing, they were made fun of.

It's not like I'm teaching the kids p*ss or sh*t (both in the dictionary with the correct meaning, BTW).

According to Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

poop - noun
Meaning FECES
bodily waste discharged through the anus

pee - noun
an act of urination

fart -intransitive verb
to expel intestinal gas from the anus

tinkle - noun
1 : a jingling effect in verse or prose
2 : a series of short high ringing or clinking sounds

"Big job" and "poot" are not even in there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's see - I think we said poop, poot, and pee-pee. I think that that's just a throwback to the generation gap between our parent's (Ed's and ours) and what is "proper." My grandma would have had a heart attack if we had said fart. Not to mention some of the other words I have picked up over the years.

This the first time I have checked your blog. It is hilarious.